Specialist Local Resources
Local resources that can give further insight into your family history.
As well as the usual archive, census and parish records I can search for in the UK, there are some extra local resources that can help to build your family tree if you have an ancestor in the Coventry or Warwickshire area.
I can obtain copies of most of the following.
Where photocopies are not permitted due to the delicate state of the original documents, I can obtain digital photos.
- Coventry and Warwickshire Church registers for baptisms, marriages,
banns and burials.
- Registers for Nonconformist churches including West Orchard
and Vicar Lane. Some of these give dates of births as well as
the usual baptisms and burials c.1700 - 1837, for Coventry and
Warwickshire (excluding Birmingham)
- Burial Registers for London Road Cemetery, Coventry 1847-1900.
- Monument inscriptions for London Road Cemetery, Holy Trinity
and some other local churches. I can also search for and take
photographs of gravestones.
- Registers listing enrolments of apprentices from 1781 to
- Rolls and registers of men (and women from 1937) admitted to
the Freemanship of Coventry, 1715 - 1986.
- Local newspapers dating from 1746 to the present day. I can
obtain copy pages showing births deaths and marriages plus local
- Rolls of the Fallen - Soldiers who were born or lived in Coventry
who died in WW1 and WW2
- The Coventry Graphic index of servicemen 1914 to 1918, this includes
- Some registers of admissions to local schools, plus records
for various charity schools.
- The Convicts Register 1879, 1890-1897. This usually includes
their photograph may include some details of their convictions
- Original records of the Court Leet, Quarter Sessions and Magistrate's
courts for Coventry, 15th century to mid 20th century.
Burial records can often help to link
families even when there is
no monument inscription.
- Trade directory entries for Coventry, some directories covering
Warwickshire published between 1822 and 1940. Plus some local
telephone directories from 1948.
- Maps books old Photographs/Prints of the local area.
- Electoral Rolls for Coventry including 1834, 1857-59 and all
years since 1877 (Not including First and Second World Wars when
no lists were produced). Poll Books for most elections 1741 -
- Coventry Workhouse registers including admissions, discharges,
births and deaths. These also give reason for admission and some
- Publican in the family? I can often obtain photos of many Pubs
that no longer exist.