Specialist Local Resources
As well as the usual archive, census and parish records I can search for in the UK, there are some extra local resources that can help to build your family tree if you have an ancestor in the Coventry or Warwickshire area.
I can obtain copies of most of the following. Where photocopies are not permitted due to the delicate state of the original documents, I can obtain digital photos.
- Coventry and Warwickshire Church registers for baptisms, marriages, banns and burials.
- Registers for Nonconformist churches including West Orchard and Vicar Lane. Some of these give dates of births as well as the usual baptisms and burials c.1700 - 1837, for Coventry and Warwickshire (excluding Birmingham).
- Burial Registers for London Road Cemetery, Coventry 1847-1900.
- Monument inscriptions for London Road Cemetery, Holy Trinity and some other local churches. I can also search for and take photographs of gravestones.
- Registers listing enrolments of apprentices from 1781 to 1975.
- Rolls and registers of men (and women from 1937) admitted to the Freemanship of Coventry, 1715 - 1986.
- Local newspapers dating from 1746 to the present day. I can obtain copy pages showing births, deaths and marriages plus local events.
Burial records can often
help to link families
even when there is
no monument inscription.
- Rolls of the Fallen - Soldiers who were born or lived in Coventry who died in WW1 and WW2.
- The Coventry Graphic index of servicemen 1914 to 1918, this includes many pictures.
- Some registers of admissions to local schools, plus records for various charity schools.
- The Convicts Register 1879, 1890-1897. This usually includes their photograph may include some details of their convictions plus aliases.
- Original records of the Court Leet, Quarter Sessions and Magistrate's courts for Coventry, 15th century to mid 20th century.
- Trade directory entries for Coventry, some directories covering Warwickshire published between 1822 and 1940. Plus some local telephone directories from 1948.
- Maps books old Photographs/Prints of the local area.
- Historical Electoral Rolls for Coventry including 1834, 1857-59 and all years since 1877 (Not including First and Second World Wars when no lists were produced). Poll Books for most elections 1741 - 1868.
- Coventry Workhouse registers including admissions, discharges, births and deaths. These also give reason for admission and some other details.
This leatherbound hardcover book engraved with a beautiful copper-colored tree will become an invaluable keepsake for any family. A family record is more than names, dates, and places. It is about peoplea what they did, the "why" and the "how." This book is designed so you can record forever, in one volume, the history of your family and your ancestors.
With sections for the origins of your family, family photographs, and memorable events, this book will hold a special place on your shelf for generations in the future. Also, the "how to" section will help you trace your family's history, including how to obtain records, and what institutions are available for further assistance.
This is a necessary book for families who are interested in their historya and their future.